The current awareness services: According to Edem and Unegbu, it is the responsibility of librarian to provide CAS and SDI services for the benefit of all her users. These include:
- It helps to keep users better informed.
- It provides access to needed documents.
- It supports Academic, Professionals and Management skills.
- It provides information in a preferred format.
While the advantages of SDI Services include:
- It brings the right information closer to the user.
- The information user will have time to concentrate on other matters instead of searching and sourcing for information resources by him.
- The medical librarian provides information to the users at their convenient time.
- It creates a good relationship between the librarian and information users.
- The users will have access to the right information at the right time and place.
- Edem, N. (2013). Use of Information technology by Librarian’s some selected Nigerian University Libraries. Gateway Library Journals, 11 (2), 25-37.
- Unegbu, V. E. (2013). “Current Awareness Services and Selective Dissemination of Information: Needs and Techniques in this Technological Era” in Provision of Library and Information Services to Users in the Era of Globalization by Issa, A. O, Igwe, K. N. and Uzuegbu, C. P. (eds). Lagos: Waltodanny Visual Concept.
- Uzohue, C. E., & Yaya , J. A. (Jul. 15, 2016). Provision of Current Awareness Services and Selective Dissemination of Information by Medical Librarians in Technological Era. American Journal of Information Science and Computer Engineering, 8-14.