Library Colon classification (CC) is a system of library classification developed by S. R. Ranganathan. It was the first ever faceted library classification. The first edition was published in 1933.
Advantages / benefits of Colon Classification:
- Due to a sound theory and the provision of a hospitable notation, Colon classification is capable of giving a unique number for almost every subject.
- The systematic order and the degree of detail due to analysis and synthesis are two great virtues of CC. As a result, it has achieved two objectives:
- Provision of a helpful order ineach class, and
- Facility in locating a given topic whether it is simple, compound orcomplex.
3. It is claimed that CC can be effectively used in a computer-aide document finding system.
Disadvantages/ Limitations of Colon Classification:
- The major drawback of CC is that there exists no machinery to keep up the revision work as in the case of DDC and UDC.
- The guidance provided in the recently published seventh edition is not enough and lacks clarity at places.
- It calls for a manual with numerous examples to explain the application of various rules.
- It is far from simple, the virtue most cherished by the users.
References: (This document is created from available online documents from the web)
- KRISHAN KUMAR. Theory of classification. 1993. Vikas Publishing; New Delhi.
- SHARMA (C D). Use of libraries: A guide to better use of libraries and their resources. 1978. Metropolitan Book; New Delhi.
- INDIRA GANDHI NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY (IGNOU). Unit 2: Needand purpose of library classification. IGNOU; New Delhi.
- HUSAIN (Shabahat). Library classification: Facets and analyses.1993. B. R. Publishing Corporation; Delhi.
- HARRISON (Colin) and BEEHAM (Rosemary). The basics of librarianship.1985. Clive Bingley; London.
- DUTTA (Dwijendranath). Library classification: Theory and practice. 1962. TheWestern Book Depot; Nagpur.
- CHOWDHURY (G G). Introduction to modern information retrieval. Ed. 3.2004. Facet Publishing; London.
- THAKUR (S). UGC NET/SLET: Library and information science. 2007. Danika Publishing Company; New Delhi.
- All post of Library Classification here
- About Library Classification
- Types of Library Classification Schemes
- Features of Library Classification Scheme
- Purpose & Objectives of Library Classification
- Dewey Decimal Classification: Brief Information of DDC
- DDC 23rd Edition
- Advantages and Disadvantages of DDC (Dewey Decimal Classification) Scheme
- Colon Classification: A brief Information About Library Colon Classification
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Colon Classification (CC)
- Universal Decimal Classification (UDC)
- Advantages and disadvantage of UDC (Universal Decimal Classification)
- Comparative Analysis Between DDC, UDC and CC Classification Scheme
- Library Classification Schemes
- Enumerative Classification Scheme
- Freely Faceted Classification
- Difference between Natural Classification and Artificial Classification
- Special Features of Book Classification and its type
- Generalia Class / Waste-Paper Basket Class
- Criteria of book classification
- Purposes of library classification