It is a form of subject catalogue which combines the qualities of alphabetical catalogue and classified catalogue both. Alphabetical catalogue is appreciated for its easy arrangement of entries. Classified catalogue is appreciated for
- i) Bringing like subject together, and
- ii) Arranging subjects in filiatory order (by bringing specific subjects under their broader subjects).
Alphabetico classed catalogue has all these qualities i.e.,
- i) It arranges its entries in alphabetical order, and
- ii) In addition to bringing related subjects together, it brings specific subjects under their broader subjects.
To achieve this object the following steps are taken while preparing an alphabetico-classed catalogue.
- A suitable scheme of classification is selected.
- Subject headings are derived from headings used by the scheme of classification for class numbers including main class and important classes.
- Subject headings for specific subjects are placed under their broad classes in alphabetical sequence.
Example of Alphabetico-classed catalogue: