Current Awareness Service (CAS):
- – New theoretical ideas and hypotheses.
- – New problems to be solved.
- – New methods and techniques for solving old and new problems
- – New circumstances affecting what people do and how they may do it.
Types of Current Awareness Service:
- Those services, which are directed towards individuals or group of users. These may include communication of information to individuals or groups through informal conversation or via telephone, a message sent on notification form, SDI, selective of dissemination of documents, routeing of periodicals (or automatic loan ) and other documents. In this field, information supplied within the period of one week to one month.
- Those services, which are directed towards all users of the services, these may include accession list ( a list of recent acquisitions), bibliography, indexing and abstracting services, bibliographic surveys, literature surveys, table of contents of periodicals received in the library, Current Awareness bulletin, etc.
In this field, information supplied daily or within the period of one week.
- To aware the scientists/users with latest developments in their subject fields.
- To keep the clientele well-informed and up-to-date knowledge of latest development in their fields of research.
- To fulfil the current demand of the users.
Characteristics of Current Awareness Service:
- Information obtained orally from colleagues.
- Information received/gathered through the receipt of preprints, reprints.
- Information gathered through attending meeting and conferences and getting information in both formal and informal way.
ii. Literature channel:
- Scanning of current issues of periodicals.
- A regular perusal of abstracting and indexing periodicals in one’s subject fields.
- In some cases, reviews and monographs are also consulted.
iii. Formal channel (Current channel):
- A regular perusal of current issues of periodicals.
- Current issues of abstracting and individuals periodicals.
- Maintaining profiles (personal files of the users).
iv. A CAS is an announcement mechanism usually in documentary form.
Factors influencing on Current Awareness Service:
- Review or scan documents (some time records of documents) immediately upon receipt.
- Select information and record individual documents pertinent to the programme of the individuals or groups of the organisation being served. This may be done by comparing the documents/information with the needs of users being served.
- Send notification to the users about items or information of interest to them.