According to The Librarian Glossary (1987) “AVMs as non-book materials like tapes, slides, films which are renewed and recent to rather then read as books.”
Dike (1993) define “Audio Visual Resources are those materials which do not depend solely upon reading to convey meaning and present information through the sense of hearing as audio resources or through a combination of both senses.”
Types of Audio Visual Materials: Broadly Audio Visual Materials are three types.
1. Auditory Materials: Auditory means of or relating to the hearing. This include:
- Sound Films
- Telephone, etc.
2. Visual Materials:
Visual Materials are those materials which we see and can be understood by observing the visual aspect of any object. They include:
- Projected materials- slide, film-strips, film
- Illustrated books
- Cartoons, etc.
3. Audio Visual Materials: Audio Visual Materials are the combination of Auditory and visual materials. This may includes:
- Motion Picture
- Video tapes
- Printed materials with recorded sound
- Audio Visual Materials can create all of the reading materials more effective and attractive to all students in a class room.
- All the learning materials can be represented properly with accurate illustration with the help of Audio Visual Materials.
- These bring variation and diversity among the learning material for the convenient of the students.
- AVMs provide learning experience which could not have been provided more easily with traditional materials.
- These can make a real contribution that will be useful and effective in realizing learning goods.
- Audio Visual Materials (AVMs) creates better relationship between the students and teacher in the classroom.
- These can change human behavior significantly.
- Research work without Audio Visual Materials (AVMs) can’t bear any fruitful results to the research scholar.
- For expending experience, AVMs play a dynamic role.
- AVMs contribute to the group learning situation.
- AVMs reinforce and add effectiveness to teaching procedures
- AVMs remove the extraneous matter of learning materials and get to the essence of it
- AVMs help to cut through the physical limits of time and space in a unique manner.
- AVMs supply a concrete basis for conceptual thinking.
- The attention getting power of AVMs, there ability to stimulate interest and there simplicity combine to help the student think consecutively about a subject presented in the class room.