Wiktionary (an online encyclopaedia) define departmentation as “the process of classifying an organization on the basis of departments or similar activities, to facilitate planning and control.”
“departmentation is not an end in itself, but is simply a method of arranging activities to facilitate the accomplishment of objectives.” -Koontz and O’Donnell
According to Louis Allen, “Departmentation is a means of dividing the large and monolithic functional organisation into smaller flexible administrative units.”
According to koonts and O’Donnell : “A department is a distinct area, division or branch of an enterprise over which a manager has authority for the performance of specified activities.”
1. Work analysis
- Work analysis: Work analysis is an attempt to secure a number close up views of different operations and breaking down of each task into its component parts. Work analysis is useful for simplifying the procedures and for ensuring improvement in various processes.
- Division of labor: After proper work analysis, each individual worker is assigned a particular job in accordance with his qualifications. The principle of division of labor is based on common place experience that every person cannot do every job. To have an economical setup, it is a sound principle to divide the work into various work units and to assign the various jobs to individuals separately. In a technical section of library, classification and cataloguing jobs are assigned to different persons.
- Specialization: Specialization is another important principle by which a specific job is allowed to a specific person keeping in view his special qualifications and capacities. In a library, we may have competent cataloguers, classifiers and documentatists. So it will be for the benefit of the organization to avail the services of specialists for doing specialized tasks.
How will you run a library with a staff of 24?
A library in which several staff may be involved according to the nature and multifarious functions. According to this an organizational diagram also differs from library to library. Following organizational diagram run by 24 staff:
- L- Love for books
- I- Inquisitiveness
- B- Broad outlook
- A– Accomplished personality
- R– Reality, sense of
- I– Interest in man and his ideas
- A- Accomplished habit
- N– Neutrality
The duties and responsibilities of a librarian may be as follows:
- To formulate and administer policies, rules and regulations.
- To participate in the formulation of education and learning process of the library.
- To participate in the activities of the library committee as a members and as an officer.
- To maintain relationships among the patrons, deans, and other higher officer.
- To select a harmonious administrative and technical activities to perform the operations of a library carefully.
- To make recommendations to the president on all matters pertaining to the status, promotion, charge in position, or dismissal of members of the library staff.
- To guide the development of the book collections of the libraries and to responsible for all collections.
- To make reports to the president or board of trustees or to library agencies.
- To assist in securing gifts for the library.
- To prepare and execute the annual budget for the operation of the library.
- To cooperate with other library in making resources available for research.
Responsibilities of the staff of Reference section:
- Assistance in searching and location of documents.
- Assistance in the use of library catalogue.
- Assistance in the use of reference books.
- Arranging staff training and training program for users.
- Inter-library lending.
Responsibilities of the staff of lending section:
- Providing location of lending items.
- Provision for reservation system for items on loans.
- Renewal of loan.
- Calculation of fine and fees.
Responsibilities of the staff of Acquisition:
- Selection of library materials by purchasing, gift, exchange or deposit.
- Fund designation
- Placing the order to the vendors
- Receiving the materials arrived
- Supplying the payment cheque to the vendors
- Maintaining the accounts and keeping statistics.
Responsibilities of the staff of technical section:
- Identification and description of library materials and their organization of library materials through classification, cataloguing, indexing and abstracting for effective use.
- Preserving and safeguarding the collection by binding, repairing, etc.
Dr. Md. Shariful Islam
Dept. of Information Science & Library management.