Functions of library classification: Classification is a mental process by which things or ideas are groups separate according to their likeness and differences. Some of the basic functions of Library classification are as:
- Arrange books or other materials in helpful sequence convenient to the readers, research workers and librarians.
- Ensure speedy location and replacement of books on the shelves for next users.
- The users are provided with the subject approach to the subsidiary topic deal within a book by analyzing its content and making entries in the classified catalogue.
- Fugitive and ephemeral literature in vertical file etc. can be arranged with the help of classification.
- It is a useful device by which a new book can be inserted in its proper places, among the other books on the same subject.
- Provide means by which the stock of books or other materials may be clearly and effectively guided by the help of classification.
- It renders useful assistance to the making up the collection for different entries or branches.
- Classification is use as the basis of recording issue books in the lending counter.
- Help in the compilation of bibliography, catalogues, book list etc.