Functions of Audio Visual Materials in teaching and learning process:
There are various function of Audio Visual Materials is teaching, learning, research, entertainment and so on. Some of them are listed below:
1. Reduce Verbalism: Audio Visual Materials supply a complete basis for conceptual thinking; they give rise to meaningful associations. Hence they offer the best antidote solution available for the disease of verbalism. Words are wonderful, they are easily produced, reproduced, stored and transported. But the over use or excessive use of words can result in serious problem. The problem of verbalism can reduced the verbalism significantly in the areas of teaching, learning, research, entertainment and so on.
2. Make learning permanently: The quality of the learning experience profoundly influences the “performances”. We can readily see how much Audio Visual Materials offer in terms of vividness and power of impression. So the qualitative rich Audio Visual Materials experience has important learning. Audio Visual Materials give vividness to the learning situation.
For example: A film on Rabindranath Tagore provides a vivid picture of his life and literature.
3. Had interest and involvement: Interest is a so much a part of Audio Visual Materials. Attention is the true factor in any process of teaching and learning. Audio Visual materials aids help the teacher in providing proper environment for capturing and sustaining the attention and interest of the students in the classroom works. This is how Audio Visual Materials ensures the involvement in teaching and learning.
4. Stimulates self-activities: Report to experiment indicates that self-activities can be fostered by the skillful utilization of Audio Visual Materials. Audio Visual Materials stimulate encouragement in preventing crime of a local community improving recreational facilities etc. There for by using Audio Visual Materials we can stimulate our self-activity.
5. Direct pent-up interest: Today’s new communication media can make a truly enormous impact upon viewer’s learners and listeners. The degree of the impact depend upon the mental set of the viewers, listeners, learners.
6. Develop continuity of thought: The continuity of thought that is fostered when verbal abstractions are coupled with visual and auditory explanations, the attention getting power of audio visual materials and their simplicity combined to help the students think consecutive about a subject in his or her area.
7. Developed meaningful vocabulary: The contemporary development of audio visual materials introduce large and specialized vocabulary. Since audio visual materials supply a concrete basis for conceptual thinking. It enriched the words by meaningful concept to the students, audio visual materials not only correct confused or inaccurate or misleading conceptions but place the correct responses concretely before the students.
8. Enlarge the range of possible experience: Audio Visual Materials can enable us to cut through the physical limits of time and space in a unique manner.
For example: The use of Audio Visual Materials provide a touch of reality to the learning situation by seeing a film show exhibiting the peoples of Japan region, students learn it more effectively in about two hours than by spending week to weeks by reading and by traveling.
9. Teach efficiently: Efficiency in teaching means the economy of times or energy and increase vividness. Audio Visual Materials representation is more effective than an article or lecture of the same subject. In this way Audio Visual Materials help the teacher to teach the student in a very meaningful and smooth way. As a result of these trends students of the respective teachers can learn a topic or a lecture clearly.
10. Add highly useful variety: Monotony can be a powerful deterrent to learning. If the lecture of a teacher can be delivered through a slide show or PowerPoint by the projector instead of verbal speech than the possibility of grasp the essence of the lecture could easily be understood by the students.
11. Best motivation: Audio Visual Materials are the best motivators. Students learn with more interest and zeal. They become more attentive.
12. Clear images: Clear images are formed when we see, smell and test. At least of all the images are constructed through the direct implementation of Audio Visual Materials.
13. Encouragement to healthy classroom interacts: Use of Audio Visual Materials in classroom can encourage both the students and teachers to interact with each other more effectively.