A Newspaper is a regular scheduled publication, containing news, information and advertising etc. Newspaper publishes a wide variety of materials, including political events, crime news, business, entertainment, society and culture, sports, food, review technology news and so on.
- Publicity: It’s contents are reasonably accessible to the public.
- Periodicity: It is published at regular intervals.
- Up-to-date: It’s information are up-to-date.
- Universality: It covers a wide range of topics.
Usefulness of Newspapers on library:
Usually’ a person starts his day with a newspaper. In the perspective of library, its need knows no bounds. The usefulness may be as follow:
- Newspaper provides current and up-to-date information in most of all topics.
- It keeps the readers up-to-date on current happenings.
- It is considered as a dependable media of real fact on national and international stages.
- Book reviews, which published in a newspaper, can help the librarians a little bit to select the appropriate materials for the library.
- Sometimes it is considered as a recreational element.
Selection Policies of Newspapers in Library:
There is no any specific rules and regulations to select a newspaper for a library.
- The objectives of a library must be focuses.
- Readers choices should be considered.
- Controversial collection should not be allowed.