Personnel management’ means the use of human resources in accomplishing the overall goals or mission of the organization.
Personnel Management definition:
According to Edwin B. Flippo in his book ‘personnel management’ defined “Personnel management is the planning, organizing, directing and controlling of the procurement, development, compensation, integration, maintenance and separation of human recourses to the end that individual, organizational and societal objectives are accomplished.”
According to Flippo, “Personnel management is the planning, organizing, compensation, integration and maintenance of people for the purpose of contributing to organizational, individual and societal goals.”
According to Brech, “Personnel Management is that part which is primarily concerned with human resource of organization.”
- To secure appropriate people capable of performing effectively the library’s specific tasks.
- To utilize the human resources effectively.
- To generate maximum development of the people within the library.
The functions of PM may be grouped under the following broad headings:
The purpose of job analysis is to determine the abilities, skills, knowledge and kind of experience required for caring out the job.
- Determination of requisite elements or factors involved in all jobs carrying monetary remuneration.
- Using these elements and factors for comparing one job with another.
- Knowing the relative value of each job.
- Fixing the money value of each job.
Training imparted –
- apprentice system
- in-service training