- To acquaint the Board of Trustees and other administrative authorities about the real financial position and other aspects of the services rendered by a library.
- To serve as a publicity media towards attaining the users.
- Helps to compare of annual reports of different years which will enable the librarian to determine the strong and weak points of the library. This will help him to improve the library.
- The staff position can be reviewed and reallocation of staff can be made in the library.
- To access the actual needs and to find out ways and means of the provisions of more funds.
Contents of Annual Reports:
The most important feature of a report is its contents. A report may include the following main heads.
1. Area/ Population served: The area / population served goes to show the extent of library’s services in terms of supply of books and non-book materials per head of the civil population.
- Technical services include classification, cataloguing, documentation; readers service including reference and circulation, photo-reproduction services, etc. The annual report should show what scheme of classification is followed, the physical and inner form of catalogue services rendered and the staff position as revealed in the annual report will show if the staff is insufficient or otherwise.
- In special libraries technical activities like indexing, abstracting and documentation should be mentioned and evaluated as far as possible. A statistical table may be appended to show the number of books subject wise and the per capita circulation of such books, etc.
- Reader’s advisory service is the most important factor of modern library service. Proper statistic with description of such services are necessary for insertion in the annual report so that the authorities may be prompted to finance more improved services with the latest devices and enhanced reference resources.
- Librarians and Assistants
- Typists and Clark
- Caretakers, Sorters and Janitors
- Binding staff and the total number of staff should be shown in the annual report.
(1) Circulation section:
no. Of reference volumes in stock: ……………………..
the total books consulted daily: …………………………
the total users daily: …………………..