Cardinal Element of Library Administration (POSDCORB):
Every organization or institution has a set of goals to achieve. For this an organizational structure is raised, an administrative machinery is created and management authority is appointed. The basic policies of the organization are laid down and management staff is appointed by the administrative machinery for achieving the desired goals.
To ensure better functioning and smooth running of an organization, Luther Gulick propounded some basic element of administration. These are known as ‘POSDCORB’ which stand for the following seven elements:-
- Planning: The primary function of an administrator is to plan and forecast, i.e., determining the goal and ideas of an institution. Planning presupposes the stock taking of the existing conditions and the relevant causes. The solutions are suggested for removing the problems by phased programme. The efforts are made to remove the basic defects and their future implications are taken care of. Same is the case with Library Planning.
- Organizing: Planning to be fruitful needs a sound organization, which means such a structure of authority is established which is capable of achieving the set goals. Though the structure, work-subdivisions are arranged, defined and coordinated for the set goal. In Library Organization, the decision is taken as to what kind of authority is to be provided for an area of service.
- Staffing: An organization for its efficiency needs proper staffing and recruitment policies. Practical experience of various jobs at the credit of applicants for various posts should be taken in to consideration at the time of appointment. Staffing includes the training of staff and maintenance of favorable conditions of work for them. The chief Librarian should be a qualified and competent person with an aptitude of research.
- Directing: The efficiency of the staff depends upon the personal qualities of the Chief Librarian. He should be capable of performing his duties as a leader. Besides, possessing knowledge, he should be able to infuse confidence amongst the staff-members. He should prove an ideal leader by din of his hard work, sincerity for the welfare of the staff. Directing includes continuous decision making and translate them in order and instructions.
It is essential to inter-relate various part of an organization in a harmonious way. The co-ordination can be achieved if the head knows about all the jobs and effect such as administrative machinery that he feels practically on necessary to interfere. It depends upon the kind of organization has been brought in to being, as to wheather is line type or line and staff type of structure or functional type of organization. There should be delegation of power or proper functioning, but they should be answerable to the chief only.
It means keeping the library authorities well informed about the progress or regress of the work. The chief of the library has to submit an annual report to executive authority concerned. This practice keeps the Chief Librarian vigilant about his activities. Various section Heads of the Library may maintain proper records and statistics of the work performed for the purpose.
It includes fiscal planning, accounting and control. No organization can function properly without adequate finances. Librarian has to convince the authorities about the usefulness of the services rendered by libraries.
This can be done by statistical data only so the librarian should maintain proper statistic of income and expenditure of his library. He should ensure proper utilization of financial grants. Budgeting should be made in a presentable from with solid justification.
Mr. Mohinder Singh has added a few more elements.
Briefly, these are describe below-
- Creating: Creativeness is one of the vital functions of management. A create manager can make an organization itself creative. Through his creative approach of logical thinking, idea linking and problem solving, he can create new and better ways of achieving objectives. Creative function adds innovation and improvement in the activities and procedures of the organization.
- Motivating: Motivating is a valuable function of management. Motivated people only achieve set goals. In an organization, people at all levels should be motivated by way of giving proper stimuli to them so as to achieve desired behavior. Only desired behavior leads towards accomplishment of organizational objectives. Individuals are motivated by satisfying their five-tiers of needs as recognized by A H Maslow-Physiological Needs relating to maintenance of life (i.e. food, air, water, rest, etc) and economic security relating to job protection, salary deduction, fine, etc.; Social Needs relating to from associations, friendships, etc.; Esteem Needs relating to enjoyment of status, recognition, appreciation, self-respect and freedom; and self-realisation Needs relating to self-fulfillment or continued self-development.
- Communicating: Communicating is also an important element of the management chain. Communication creates co-ordination and participation in the management. Though communication, managers transfer the message, may it be facts, ideas, attitudes or opinions in all durations, to all concerned executive and subordinates to influence a particular course of action to achieve a pre-planned common goal or objective. The communication may be formal or informal. It may flow in any direction upwards, as suggestion from subordinate to superior, downwards as orders or instructions from superior to subordinate and laterally as an information flow for necessary action or correction among concerned executive across the lines of an organization.
- Controlling: Controlling is the process by which management gauges the progress of work against set targets. In other words, controlling compares events with plans and makes necessary corrections where events have deviated from planes. In management, budget provides inherent controls over planes. In a business type management, breakeven analysis, where profits or losses are measured at different volume levels of sales, is another controlling technique. This concept is the form of cost-benefit analysis can also be profitably applied to a service-type organization, like a library or information centre. Leadership of a manager also plays an important role in controlling employee in behavior in an organization. He feeds checking, regulation, verification and overall supervision to achieving desired objectives.
Dr. Md. Shariful Islam
Dept. of Information Science & Library management.