The Needs & Importance of Information:
In the present day society, there is a great and urgent need for access and availability of information. The information need for the various purposes is enumerated below as:
- Information is an aid in decision making, policy making needed for the policy makers, decision makers, managers etc.
- Information will have a reinforcing/ trans forming effect on human beings on receiving it. A great deal for change can be perceived in the human minds/ attitudes on obtaining the information, as it increases the ability of personal knowledge for the recipient.
- Information generates new information. This is the existing knowledge/ information helps in generating new information; new knowledge; new theories, etc.
In fact, scientists and scholars avail or use information to produce another document, like research reports, thesis/ dissertations, books, journal articles, seminar paper etc.
- The users of various professions and vocations like doctors, engineers, scientists, scholars etc. acquire and apply information in order to do their job more effectively and efficiently. i.e. application of information for practical purposes.
- Information supports research in order to obtain effective and fruitful results.
- Information helps in better management of manpower, materials, production, finance, marketing etc.
- State-of-art kind of information of a subject helps in identifying the gaps/ shortcomings in in the subject field and to identify the research problems to be explored or undertaken.
- Information helps in avoiding the duplication of research.
- Information stimulates the thought process of the users, particularly the scholars.
- Information helps the scientists, engineers, scholars, etc. to get well informed with the current advancements in their subjects, and to keep them up-to-date.