The library must have a trained and qualified librarian and the librarian should have attitudes like love for books serving the readers etc. One of the responsibilities of the librarian is to understand the behavioural pattern of the user; so that he can adopt an appropriate approach to help them fruitfully. The librarian has an overall responsibility for the proper functioning of the library.
The Role of Librarian:
“The main role of the librarian is to help students to learn when they are away from their teachers through creating a learning environment”13. The idea is to establish conditions conducive to learning and to maximize the utilization of available materials. For achieving this, the librarian should:
1. Be personally acquainted with his teaching colleagues and know as much as possible about their characteristic methods of teaching.
2. Make himself familiar with the curriculum and keep informed about current changes to update his materials.
3. Remind faculty members of the varied opportunities for using library resources in teaching.
4. Know what tools and materials the instructor are using so that students are not only given assistance in using them properly but encouraged to learn other tools.
5. Bring new materials and library services to the attention of the faculty.
6. Acquaint faculty with unique and unusual materials available in the library’s special collections that might profitably be used by the students.
7. Provide resources necessary for research in the fields of interest of the academic staff.
8. Keep the faculty members abreast of developments in their fields for teaching.
9. Bring documents, students and the academics together under the environment which stimulate reading for pleasure, self-realisation, personal growth and development and the cultivation of intellectual excellence.
10. Seek teachers help in formulating library rules and regulations.
11. Plan library orientation programme with teachers and correlate it to instructional situation in their classrooms.
12. Make recommendations for improving the collections of primary and secondary sources for filling up gaps in the literature and also seek teacher’s help in weeding out materials in library collections.
13. Provide patient, studied assistance to individual students in using reference and bibliographical tools.
14. Provide if possible, a seminar room for advanced classes where it is necessary to use library books and bibliographies in connection with the class discussion.